Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Landing a GREAT Job Fast

Several years ago I developed and taught a course on how to land a great job, fast! through the Learning Annex. It was based upon my experiences as a recruiter and as a coach.

Working as a recruiter, I learned that looking and finding a job had very little to do with the traditional techniques I'd been taught. You know, write a GREAT resume, check ads in the newspapers, be prepared for those tough questions (So, where would you like to be in 5 years?), etc.

Nowadays, we'd hit Monster.com, Yahoo, Dice and a few other major job boards as well as keeping an eye out on Craigslist.

Nothing much very different doing that than there was to responding to jobs you saw posted in newspaper ads.

Do you want to be one of 100's or 1000's of people applying to a very interesting ad, a potentially GREAT job? Good for you!

Personally, I don't like those odds at all. And, if my career as a recruiter had depended on competing having my candidates compete "fairly" with 100's or 1000's of other candidates- I probably would have starved to death.

Fortunately, there are other, better ways of landing the job(s) of your dreams. And once you learn those techniques and more importantly- the mindset of a recruiter, you will truly be in control of your career.

No comments: